that girl }}


With the philosophy that every part may be her big chance, Ann makes a valiant effort to learn to roller-skate to get a part in a soft-drink (called Twinkie) commercial.

Monday, June 13, 2005

here's to you, mrs robinson

i just bought the most amazing strawberries at the grocery store. they reminded me of the ones in my backyard when i was a little girl: mishapen, small, but bright red and pungent. so pungent that their smell filled up my car with foreshadowings of summer. so pungent that they may not have survived the ride home. forgive me, they were delicious, so sweet and so cold. but no one was saving them for breakfast, so why apologize? sometimes the little things remind me that being an adult is not all bad. like not having a mom telling you you can only eat 5 strawberries, the rest being saved for some lame salad with spinach!!! or something.

so i'm doing a collage in commemoration of anne bancroft, with a particular focus on her mrs. robinson years. i went looking for a leopard print bra and underwear. what else (oh, besides maybe stockings) do you think of when you think of her? (that's not rhetorical, answer it dummy). anyway, i couldn't find the perfect leopard print. i took a pretty lame poloroid in a department store changeroom. but the colors were all washed out. and fuck it! unfortunately i ended up spending WAY too much money on lingerie for myself, which was not the purpose of the exercise. i'm not even a lingerie girl. and who will see it? i got home, left the tags on, and stuffed it in my drawer. good one. and i STILL need a picture.

i'd tell you a sad story about how the woman in front of me in the department store restaurant told the clerk she treats herself to one week a year eating there (her birthday week). and that this was the last day of that week, so she'd see her next year. and that her purchase came to $8.59. and that she said of course she couldn't afford to eat that way all year. that would be ridiculous. and that her birthday lunch was chicken wings, mashed potatoes with no gravy, and tri-colored frozen vegetables. but telling you would make me sad.

random fact ABOUT ME: i live above a chinese restaurant and invest in a steady string of crisp breeze air wicks to keep my clothes from smelling of bok choy.

11 Comments:

  • At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here's something I'd like to know: why, in periods of sexual drought, do we feel the need to be defeatist about sexual prospects? But we already know that things like that ebb and flow. I'm not saying "we" to refer to all humans, because I've really no idea whether it's common or not. But I do it and apparantly you do it too, and I'd like to know why.

    Sorry. Your lingerie story struck a chord in me because I noticed that your ebb co-incides with my flow and whereas (I presume) you'd like to be in my shoes, presently I'd rather like to be in yours. Curious, eh?

    A side note: am I the only one that remembers fondly that Weezer song from 1942 or whenever called "Tired of Sex"?

     
  • At 4:57 AM, Blogger LEAH FRANCES said…

    if you'd like to be in my shoes, then i don't think i want to be in your shoes. does that make sense? while you may be having a lot of sex, i assume it can't be all that good or meaningful, if you'd prefer not to be having it. no?

    not to be at all conceited, but i'd say i'm pretty much the master of my ebb. it comes from a serious concentration on self-renewal, the sappy desire for meaning, and a stalwart refusal to settle.

    (stalwart, what a great word. can't say i've said or typed that before...)

     
  • At 5:06 AM, Blogger LEAH FRANCES said…

    p.s. i missed you, halloween jack, cool cat.

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I've been meaning to write for a while because I know feedback from the readership is important to bloggers.

    Yeah, point taken. I'd actually prefer not to be in my shoes sometimes. I'm one of those people whose strongest sentiment about love and meaning is "I want to believe" a la Fox Mulder.

    Unfortunately, I don't believe. Consequently, if one person has an exclusive apperance in my sexual repertoire, I tend to get antsy before very long.

    Anyway, here's hoping you get to show off your snazzy new knickers soon.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anne Bancroft, who while was always proud of her portayal of Mrs. Robinson, was also nonetheless continually discouraged that it was the only performance that anyone remembered her for. She was most proud of her work as Annie Sullivan in the Miracle Worker, the story of Helen Keller.

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger LEAH FRANCES said…

    yes, i am aware of the annie sullivan role, as well as her 1962 oscar. it just doesn't work as well for a fashion collage, ya know?

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I completely understand the fashion issue. It's tough to look really sexy in stiff Victorian garb, though she did have those cool dark round shades. Even still, I believe it would be a good idea if I was to take you out back to the water pump and continually spell out the word "water" into you hand in sign language as I pump the fluid into your hands.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I completely understand the fashion issue. It is difficult to look really sexy while clad in stiff Victorian garb. Though, if you'd like, I would be happy to take you out back to the water pump and continually spell things into your hand in sign language as I pump fluid on them. Just an idea.....

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whoops, thought I lost the first one and resent. Happens sometimes

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.thespinningimage.co.uk/cultfilms/displaycultfilm.asp?reviewid=831

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger LEAH FRANCES said…

    "Though, if you'd like, I would be happy to take you out back to the water pump and continually spell things into your hand in sign language as I pump fluid on them. Just an idea..... "

    is that an attempt at flirtation? hmmm... kind of creepy. kind of interesting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home