that girl }}


With the philosophy that every part may be her big chance, Ann makes a valiant effort to learn to roller-skate to get a part in a soft-drink (called Twinkie) commercial.

Friday, June 24, 2005

turn the tables

hi there. just had the most lovely hour. i had been working all morning without eating, and it was well into the day. so i decided to venture out to a little coffee shop/ bakery with a new book. the walls of the bakery were painted one a warm turquiose and the other a bright apple green, such that they conspired, in combination, to make me feel as though i was in some peaceful and deserted spot in greece or something--rather than a ditchy road in chinatown. after my soup, i was so enjoying myself, i decided to stay on for a cup of tea and a strawberry rhubarb danish. beside the atmosphere, and i have vowed to go back and photograph the walls so that i can paint my next apartment exactly those colors, it was really my new book that made the hour so great. after trudging through more than a few unenjoyable ones in the last couple of weeks, shena mackay's "the orchard on fire" announced itself as wonderful right from the first pages. i'm only a bit in, and i'd already highly recommend it. thank god i threw my last book out the window at the workers who were power washing the street outside my loft at 6:19 yesterday morning. ugghh.

anyway, i'm back home now, and i was thinking: you all know so much about me. i'm interested in music. these are a few truncated and edited questions from an interview i just did with a band that i like. answer them, if you will:

Q: Yo la Tengo’s song Cherry Chapstick has been on my “get ready to go out at night” playlist for years. I’ve drank wine with friends, put on makeup, been silly to it. What particular song means a lot to you? Says something about your identity? And is there a particular song that fits with a really outstanding memory in your life?

Q: Again on the issue of identity: what albums had the most impact on you individually when you were growing up?
Q: What are you listening to a lot right now?

Q: Does what you are doing/ how you are living match up with where you pictured yourself being when you were a little kid? I know I’m continually surprised at how my life has turned out so far.

Q: How do you generally spend your days?

Q: If you could do write a soundtrack for any film, what would that be?

RANDOM FACT ABOUT ME: in the past i have made a living designing handbags, accessories, t-shirts, and clothing. i don't know how to use a sewing machine, so i do everything by hand. it generally falls apart, and i feel guilty. so, i've stopped.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Myriad answers to these questions, but here are a few, now, this moment (having just returned from a 'Manchester Night' at a bar in Brooklyn...ahem):

    1/ This Charming Man - The Smiths... I think about getting ready to go out to an Indie club in Manchester growing up - 'Why pamper life's complexities/ When the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?'
    1a/ Born Slippy - Underworld, Live... Bear Mountain in CA, the last time I did Ecstasy, I believe. An open air festival...staggeringly beautiful, and for me, endlessly poignant.
    2/ Bowie...lots of. All phases... but especially 'Low.'
    3/ No one album. I'm quite fond of The Kills, No Wow.
    4/ No, not really. Although, I can't be too disappointed by the journey, the adventure.
    5/ Writing... with occasional breaks to read.
    6/ I'm not sure. But I'm certain I could shoot a film using the instumental tracks from 'Low' and 'Heroes' as the soundtrack....

    There, my precious...how's that?

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1.) Tough one, since I've mainly turned my back on that time in my life in which I listened to music for good lyrics and poetry. But there was that time in my life in which pretty much all of Aimee Mann's "Bachelor #2" made its way into every mix CD I made. The first song especially, where she sings about being unlovable. As far as particular memories go, there's an unidentified New Wave song that was playing back in 2001 when I was pissed out of my mind and having my heart broken by somebody I'd fallen for beyond all logic and reason, but I've never figured out what it is. And I'll always remember 1998 when I heard Orbital's "Somewhere Out There Part 2" and was thenceforth hooked on electronica. Oh, and Mancunian, Born Slippy-Underworld is a good one for me because that's associated with Trainspotting, the first time I saw Ewan McGreggor and realised I was bisexual.

    2.) Hmm, well my first ever CD was Vanilla Ice, but past song 1 it was rubbish. My parents shielded me from the 80s at all costs, so my formative years were filled by The Beatles' White Album and Joni Mitchel's "Miles of Aisles". My 'turning point' CD was probably Nirvana's "Nevermind" or NIN's "Pretty Hate Machine". Sad to say, I came onto the Bowie scene quite late, becoming obsessed only about 2 years ago. Presently, the best album ever is Daft Punk's "Discovery". Hands down.

    3.) Mylo, "Destroy Rock 'n Roll". Best album of 2004. Also I've discovered that listening to Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" on vinyl is a trance-inducing experience that CDs can't come close to replicating.

    4.) Well when I was a kid I thought I wanted to be a lawyer. Co-incidentally, I am a lawyer, I just don't practise. About 6 months before law school, I realised I was a sad, misguided child, but for some reason decided it was too late to circumvent the law thing. Four years and one JD later, I do philosophy instead. That's sort of close, I suppose.

    5.) Depends on the time of year. Aug-May I read and write philosophy. At present I spend most of my time playing with my turntables and buying house records. Very soon, though, I'll realise it's August and that I must start writing a paper on rigid designators and natural kind terms. Who knew that there's controversy about what are the necessary and sufficient conditions for membership in a species?

    6. If ever a movie could have used a better soundtrack it was "Primer". If I ever make a movie, it will feature "Polygon Window" by Richard D James, in its entirety.

     
  • At 5:42 AM, Blogger LEAH FRANCES said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I blew a Smiths lyric there (well, it was late...drinks had been had)... 'why PANDER life's complexities' perhaps? Anyway, I'm too lazy to look it up.
    AND, Ms. Karenina, you know fine well why I didn't contribute, If I just give up sleep, I'll be able to contribute regularly...

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah. Sorry, I forgot about that. Really I've not got a good excuse why I couldn't contribute, not anymore anyway, with the end of the academic year. Writing something might be fun. Perhaps you could refresh my memory as to what you're looking for.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger LEAH FRANCES said…

    screaming Lord Byron, what is your email?

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Blogger LEAH FRANCES said…

    hmm.. o.k. so i'm a little drunk right now. i'm not responsible at all for the next few sentences k?

    anyway, don't you just love it when you've listened to an album like crazy, and you totally have your favorite song, then you put it aside for a really long time and then when you pick it back up you discover another song that you love even more? case in point- the yeah yeah yeahs. for fucking months, i couldn't leave the house without listening to "pin." but now, suddenly, a year or so later, it's "y control." that song just makes me want to have some serously fucking great sex while playing it over and over all night and into the day, passing out in delirious exhaustion.

    i need to work on that. it sounds pretty fun, in theory. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home