personals response
Original Message on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 6:20:28
you are up late, aren't you...
would love to know what world record you broke..
also--what kind of design do you do--i have a graphic design agency
i also saw your blog--amazing...where do you find the energy?
jake
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi jake,
now i'm up even later. i'm packing to move. it's one of those oh shit, i have to pack all night, what was i thinking going out for a long lunch today, and then a long dinner, and then watching a movie ("what the bleep do we know"-- worth the 2 lost hours and then some), and now it's one in the morning kind of situations.... terrible really. i am however drinking a bottle of california red-- ca'del solo big house red as a matter of fact. very nice. it's helping the mood, but not really the packing speed (and you have likely already noted that i am not packing right now).
i read about your tragedy: not having a good book to read. i want to remedy this, but i can't seem to come up with the perfect one. also, i highly suspect that while there are all kinds of great works of literature, there are secretly also just plain girl books and guy books. something i read recently that was kind of sexy, kind of warped, and quite thought provoking was " the reader," by BERNHARD SCHLINK (already recommended in my blog, which you mentioned reading). i lent it to a female friend who hated it, so maybe it is a guy book.
my all time favorite novel is "the unbearable lightness of being," milan kundera, maybe not as much for the content as for the situation under which i first read it. it belonged to my first lover, who became my first love. he had it beside his bed and i would read it snuggled up in his t-shirt when he got up to make dinner. i think in this way, of reading in dreamy half hour sessions it took me a little while to finish but it was a lovely approach.
because those are marginally uninspired attempts at book help, might i add a further recommendation that you enjoy a marathon of wim wenders films?
what is your webpage? i'd be curious to see your work. you're cute.
K.
oh, oh, oh!!! i've got it: read "A Prayer for Owen Meany."
p.s. you should know... sometimes nothing i write or receive in written form is safe... :)
you are up late, aren't you...
would love to know what world record you broke..
also--what kind of design do you do--i have a graphic design agency
i also saw your blog--amazing...where do you find the energy?
jake
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi jake,
now i'm up even later. i'm packing to move. it's one of those oh shit, i have to pack all night, what was i thinking going out for a long lunch today, and then a long dinner, and then watching a movie ("what the bleep do we know"-- worth the 2 lost hours and then some), and now it's one in the morning kind of situations.... terrible really. i am however drinking a bottle of california red-- ca'del solo big house red as a matter of fact. very nice. it's helping the mood, but not really the packing speed (and you have likely already noted that i am not packing right now).
i read about your tragedy: not having a good book to read. i want to remedy this, but i can't seem to come up with the perfect one. also, i highly suspect that while there are all kinds of great works of literature, there are secretly also just plain girl books and guy books. something i read recently that was kind of sexy, kind of warped, and quite thought provoking was " the reader," by BERNHARD SCHLINK (already recommended in my blog, which you mentioned reading). i lent it to a female friend who hated it, so maybe it is a guy book.
my all time favorite novel is "the unbearable lightness of being," milan kundera, maybe not as much for the content as for the situation under which i first read it. it belonged to my first lover, who became my first love. he had it beside his bed and i would read it snuggled up in his t-shirt when he got up to make dinner. i think in this way, of reading in dreamy half hour sessions it took me a little while to finish but it was a lovely approach.
because those are marginally uninspired attempts at book help, might i add a further recommendation that you enjoy a marathon of wim wenders films?
what is your webpage? i'd be curious to see your work. you're cute.
K.
oh, oh, oh!!! i've got it: read "A Prayer for Owen Meany."
p.s. you should know... sometimes nothing i write or receive in written form is safe... :)

9 Comments:
At 2:00 PM,
Anonymous said…
Wow! Jake must be a hottie. I've never gotten such a wonderful response to a personals note. Lucky boy.
At 2:11 PM,
Anonymous said…
Free PR Advice for Dell
Dell PR dialed up Jeff Jarvis today. I guess it took a BusinessWeek story for them to finally move on this.
Visit my site - programy - it contains some info about programy!
At 2:30 PM,
Anonymous said…
Blinq | Katrina from bloggers'-eye views
"The wind is really picking up now and I hear the roof above me wobble," John Strain, a psychiatric social worker, wrote as Katrina bore down on Covington, La., yesterday.
Like your blog!
I have a Home Owner Insurance site. It has Home Owner Insurance info.
Visit anytime :-)
At 3:40 AM,
Anonymous said…
Yeah, where can one get this so-called "Pony"? Did those bits I wrote for you make their way into the magazine?
Your posting led me to wonder whether I ought to try Nerve.com again. So I logged on. I'm not yet convinced I made the right decision in doing so. However, a question came to mind. I thought I might pose it to you.
Truthfully, on a scale of 1-100, how vain would you say you are?
Follow up: compared to your average Nerve.com dater, how vain would you say you are?
Follow up #2: compared to your average NYC Gen-Xer, how vain would you say you are?
I don't expect an answer in public if you don't care to divulge that information. I just got to thinking that'd be an interesting question. Because I'll come right out and admit it: I'm a little vain, I'd have to say. Walking around, I'll usually feel good about wagering that I'm smarter than most, maybe more interesting, talented at what I do, etc.
But on Nerve, that's everybody. And then I remembered about how dumb I think I was a year ago, and how then I thought 2 years ago I was dumb etc etc. Really I'm nothing but a total pratt waiting for Occam's Razor to render me superfluous. Is that true of everybody too?
Bottom Line: Is it just me or is Nerve, as an online manifestation of the NYC young singles "scene", just a bunch of bullshit posturing? Ditto for the "scene".
(Maybe I'm hoping for some pro-NYC sentiment. I'm admittedly feeling very "I can't believe I'm stuck here instead of in London" to-day.)
At 11:48 AM,
Anonymous said…
A Prayer For Owen Meany has been recommended to me more than any other book - by far. Of course, I still haven't read it. I haven't been impressed by what I've read of Irving's work, and his latest book was slaughtered in the press. But hey, lots of people like him apparently.
Meanwhile, Ms Karenina, this latest blog seems a bit whacky to me. I don't really get it. I was going to communicate this to you by our usual means, but what the hell, I'm already here...
At 6:01 PM,
Anonymous said…
why so wacky mancunian?? the point of this blog is to put myself completely on display. i am a shy person, and i find this exercise kind of fascinating. i thought, why not post a personals response i got, and my subsequent reply to it? what's more private than that? why not make it public? is that any weirder than usual? do tell...
At 12:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
You're right Special K ...it's just the nature of the blog, and where I lose faith in it. 'the point...is to put myself completely on display.' It's like that moment in Madonna's 'Truth or Dare' when Warren Beatty is sick of the intrusion of camera's and says in exasperation 'You don't even want to LIVE if it's not recorded on camera...' Something to that effect anyway. Voyeurism for its own sake isn't so interesting to me.
Truth is though, I should just mind my own business about this. I can either read it or not, contribute or not, right? There's no justification or necessity for my censure...as I'm sure your readers will now jump in and tell me!
Anyway, I think you know from our conversations etc that I'm not coming from a truly negative place with this...
phew!
At 4:12 PM,
LEAH FRANCES said…
ha! so now you've become feisty mancunian. let me tell you mister, 'You don't even want to LIVE if it's not recorded on camera...' definitely does not apply to me. i write about one thing, every few days. i pick events or thoughts or letters that are relevant or important to my life at that paticular moment. i try not to put a lot of thought into it. i try to write completely what comes to mind, without a lot of censuring, without a lot of thinking about how i might be perceived. but i change it up, you know. pick different things to talk about, come at it from different angles. really, i write about perhaps 1% of my life. trust me, i was wrong in saying that i am completely on display.
i guess the point for me is three fold
a) to communicate with the infinite abyss of strangers on the internet, thus rendering them less distant, and hopefully less strange :)
b) to tell about my life without a lot of pride or falseness. to be honest.
c) just to express myself. i am shy. i don't talk a lot about what i am thinking. i am trying to get over that.
i know perhaps this may appear self- indulgent, or whatever else. but you do read it!? and i am glad that you do. it can't be all bad, right feisty?
At 7:44 PM,
Anonymous said…
Miss K,
Re: the Beatty quote...I didn't express that as my view of you...rather it was a reaction a) to your remark about being completely on display, but more importantly, b) to the worst impulse of bloggers, which is to call attention to themselves for the sake of it, rather than within a specific context. NOT that I think of you when I make that observation...
But hey... I can be a supercillious fool on occasion too. You know I support many of your thoughts and ideas, and one spanner in the works doesn't change that. The other thing being, that your blog is intended to provoke, amongst other things, dialogue. So, here it is...if we sit here in agreement on everything, it's not much of a conversation is it?
Affectionately yours, as ever, etc etc.
Post a Comment
<< Home